Lunch or Dinner Recipes
Acorn stuffed with Quinoa, Cranberries, Vegan Feta and Pistachios
- 4 small acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup vegan feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- Handful of arugula or spinach
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Pinch red-pepper flakes
1 Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush squash with 2 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down on 2 baking sheets until tender and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then fluff with a fork. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, parsley, feta, arugula or spinach, pistachios, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and red-pepper flakes. Divide filling among squash.
Bean Burger Formulator
Prep time 20 minutes
Cooking 30 minutes
Yield 5-6 patties
For the main burger mix
- 1 (15oz) can beans of your choice drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of cooked rice of your choice
- ½ cup of oat fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tbsp julienne sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
This is a flexible template for plant based burgers starts with a simple bean and rice mixture. The flavor variations add fats, spices, and herbs that can be interchanged for your own creation.
Chick pea/brown rice
- ¼ cup hempseeds
- 2tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
- ½ cup mushrooms
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of finely chopped greens (kale, spinach, baby chard)
Black bean/black rice
- 1 chopped date
- 1 tsp molasses
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Place all the ingredients in the main burger formulation into a food processor and pulse until semi-smooth.
Add the rest of the ingredients to whichever formulation you want to make. blend in the processor. The blade should be pretty clean, at that point its time to make the burgers. Depending on how big you make the burgers there will be 5 or 6. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, turning at 12 minutes.
Enjoy over a salad or in a bun with all your favorite trimmings.
Pad Kee Mao
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 head broccoli. cut into florets
1 red bell peppers, sl;iced
1 (450g) block of extra firm tofu, diced
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup ketcup
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
12 oz cooked Asian noodles, pad thai noodles or spaghetti
- In a large skillet over high heat, (I use a wok) heat the oil, then add the tofu and vegetables and saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables broth, ketchup, soy sauce, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the noodles and keep cooking until the sauce has reduced and thickened. (If you're using spagetti, add it after the sauce has thickened to avoid overcooking the pasta) Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with the green onion before serving.
Pineapple Fried Rice
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2-4 servings
1-2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
11/2 cups pineapple chopped into small piece
11/2 cups of frozen peas
1/2 red onion diced
6oz gourmet mushroom blend
1 cup chopped carrots
2-3 tablespoons of low sodium tamari
1 cup cooked brown rice
11/2 cups cauliflower rice
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tablespoons raw cashew
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1-2 tsp sriracha
Using a wok, or large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. once hot add onion, sauté of 2-3 minutes, add mushrooms and a tablespoon of water. cover and until mushrooms release their liquid and soften 2-3 minutes. Stir on carrots, peas, cauliflower rice mix well. cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes. add tamari, 11/2 cups pineapple, rice and lime juice, toss to combine.
Meanwhile toast the cashew in toaster oven, or hot dry pan over medium high heat until brown.
- Remove pineapple rice from heat, add cilantro and stir in with the sriracha. serve then top with the cashews. Enjoy!
Chick Pea salad
1 can organic chick pea rinsed
1 Chopped tomato
1/4 chopped red onion
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil
Raw apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, vinegar a little salt and pepper.
- Allow to marinade for an hour or two.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
The Cancer Fighting Cookbook
1 cup dried lentils, green, rinsed well.
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 table spoon brown rice vinegar
2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, rinsed and sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Combine the lentils, garlic, oregano, bay leaf and cinnamon in a saucepan and cover with water or broth by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower heat, simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the lentils thoroughly and discard the whole spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, and salt together. Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette, then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper, cucumber, olives, mint, and parsley. Add seasoning s needed and serve.